Our friends Dave & Liz got married this weekend in San Francisco so we got to have nice little retreat from our day to day life and have a little mini-vacation. We all took Friday off and flew up early so we could have a little bit of time to do something up there. Of course even though we landed at 10:30a in Oakland we still didn't get checked in to our hotel until about 1p. We had forgotten the backup of traffic that can occur at the Bay Bridge toll plaza!! Luckily Luke decided to take a nap while we were on our way to the city.
Since we hadn't been to the city in a few years we decided to drive along the Embarcadero to get to our hotel at Union Square. The wedding was on the 36th floor of the Grand Hyatt - it was quite the view!!!
After checking in we took a nice stroll around Union Square to find a place to have lunch and to grab some milk and bananas for Luke. After lunch Curtis had a business meeting (in which he ran into his brother Jonathan it's a small city) so Luke and I hung out in the room for a little R&R. Luke played and I rested on the bed. It was nice, Luke loved to look out the window at our 26 story view - I myself was not nearly as excited about the view as I have an unnatural/irrational fear of heights but I choose to face my fears and just not look out the window much!!!
Friday night we went to the rehearsal dinner while Auntie Catherine & Uncle Danny babysat Luke for us. It was nice to get out and see our friends and to meet Liz' family. On Saturday we took a nice drive through the city pointing out all the historical landmarks to Luke (i.e. this is where mommy & daddy went on their first date, this is where mommy was born) and along the beach to Golden Gate Park. We parked at the parking lot in the park (we had gotten there just as it opened so we got a great spot) and headed over to 9th & Irving for some breakfast at a diner we used to go to when we lived in SF. We then headed back to the park to meet Catherine & Danny and went to the California Academy of Sciences. The Academy was one of my favorite places to go as a kid and we thought Luke would really enjoy going to the aquarium there.
We had a nice time though of course we were only there for about 2 hours, it started getting packed and I think Luke had hit his limit. We then all walked over to Irving and sat and had coffee and chatted. It was really nice.
We headed back to our hotel and while Curtis finished his final (he had a 15 page paper due on Saturday) Luke and I went to Macy's and spent hours shopping. I love going to the Macy's on Union Square. My grandma Bev used to take me there as a young girl and it is just the best place to find anything (though they didn't have any maternity items I was quite surprised!!!). We searched the handbags for about an hour it was awesome. I saw a bag that of course I am now kicking myself for not buying as I don't see it online or at the manufacturer's website. I'm thinking of calling the SF Macy's and perhaps ordering from the store directly. Not sure why I just didn't snag it!!
Anyways, Luke & I and returned to the room as Curtis was finishing his paper and we all hung out for about an hour before we had to get ready for the wedding. I propped my feet and watched Luke play and read to himself the new book we got him at the Academy of Sciences. My Dad & Leslie came after a bit and watched Luke while we were at the wedding ceremony. It was so great they could get to spend some time with Luke while we weren't around.
Later on we went back to the room and got Luke to meet (i.e. show him off) our friends and their kids. He was great - he just loves meeting people and large crowds don't seem to frighten him which is wonderful. When it was time for his bed and time for dinner Catherine & Danny came back to watch Luke for us. They were god sends this weekend as the dinners were scheduled right during Luke's bed time and we were worried about how that would go if we were to bring Luke to the dinners.
Anyways, to wrap up we had a great time in San Francisco seeing all our college buddies and their kids and to be back in the city we still call home. Of course the weather was fantastic and taunting us to return - if only the entertainment industry would move to SF and leave LA behind!!! With heavy hearts we returned to our new home and promptly started having fun and hanging out. We will always love the city and the previous life we had there but we are even more excited with the life we have now and all the joy we share.
It's even more exciting with the prospect of baby #2 - who is starting to really kick and remind me that yeah you're pregnant not just getting fat again!! This is the best part of being pregnant - not too heavy and cumbersome and not all sick to my stomach. We find out the gender Friday!! We are very excited and can't wait to share with everyone.
Happy Easter!!! PS I'm having trouble getting my pics to line up correctly so everything is an bit out of whack!
No comments:
Post a Comment